[gambit-list] (no subject)

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Aug 14 16:29:35 EDT 2007

On 14-Aug-07, at 2:36 PM, Bill Richter wrote:

>    But Bigloo, Chicken, Gambit, ELK, MIT-scheme, SCM and STklos will
>    almost certainly not adopt R6RS.
>
> Marc, can you give us some more context here?

You mean where did I get this information?

Bigloo, Chicken, Gambit, STklos: the developers told me

ELK: my guess given the low activity of ELK development

MIT-Scheme: my guess after having talked to the MIT-Scheme
development team

SCM: my guess given the author's opinion about R6RS

>   Are there any fast
> Scheme compilers that will adopt R6RS?

I'm almost sure that if R6RS is ratified Chez Scheme will adopt R6RS,
and Chez Scheme is fast but unfortunately not free.

It is unclear whether Larceny will implement R6RS fully.  I expect it
will over a couple of years.  Larceny is fast too and is free.

PLT Scheme will also surely adopt R6RS.  Currently the JIT's
performance are not stellar (maybe a factor of 2 or 3 slower than
Gambit).

The Gauche developer has indicated he intends to implement R6RS.  It
is one of the fastest interpreters, but there is no compiler if I
recall.

Of course, many systems will implement parts of R6RS.  For example in
Gambit I have changed the names of the fixnum and flonum functions to
match the names in the R6RS.  I have also added "#;" comments, and
similar trivialities.

>   Is there a split between the
> serious computations folks like you on one side?  I don't know who I'd
> put on the other side, the egg-headed theoreticians maybe :)  How did
> the R6RS come to embrace feature-creep?

Ambition I guess.  But you should ask them.