[gambit-list] Memory leak in GC?

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Mon Aug 13 16:56:13 EDT 2007

Marc:

My code seems to be leaking memory, and, of course, after an hour or
so of debugging I can't find the source, so, again, I'm wondering if
it's the GC bug that could be causing this.

Such bugs are really insidious, even when they aren't the real cause
of the problem, they distract the programmer from finding the real
problem.  And at least once the gc bug *was* the real problem, so
it's hard to put it out of my mind ...

My program gradually increased its memory usage until it got over
16GB, at which point I killed it.  After I tried a fix, I ran it
again with a bit of instrumentation, and the file below gives a
little information about the rate of growth in the leak.

This is with beta 22.

Brad