[gambit-list] Gambit installers

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Thu Aug 2 20:26:02 EDT 2007

Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2007, at 12:09 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have experience creating installers for Windows and MacOS
>> X?
>

> For Mac OS X the most `mac-like' way to do installation of more than
> a single .app directory is with an installer package - a .pkg, .mpkg,
> or .dist file

And the only people who get to do that to my computer are Apple.  And I
hate them for it.  They don't even have a useful package uninstaller.

For handling things under OS X, a .dmg file is the way to go.  That way,
I can install it locally or globally by dragging and dropping, and I
don't need to give it privileges that I don't think it needs.  And, when
I want rid of it, I can just drag it to the trash.

I do *not* install software that uses packages anymore.  The only single
exception to that is VMWare because it needs to install kernel mode
networking hooks.

If I'm just trying something out and it wants to install a package, it
goes into the trash.

-a