[gambit-list] 4.0b20 and later not respecting --prefix=

Arto Bendiken arto.bendiken at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 06:05:45 EDT 2007

On 4/6/07, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> If you really want to get rid of the "VERSION" subdirectory, the
> easiest approach is to change "configure" (and/or "configure.ac").
> You have to replace
>
> PACKAGE_SUBDIR="/4.0b22"
>
> with
>
> PACKAGE_SUBDIR=""
>
> Then run ./configure and make.

Yes, I did that, too - but it's not sufficient, in itself, to ensure a
clean MacPorts installation. Please have a look at the portfile:

  http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/attachment/ticket/11688/Portfile

There are at least two further issues:

a) Any explicit --infodir, --libdir, etc. directives to ./configure
are not observed in the source makefiles.

b) After compilation, MacPorts stages the installation into a
temporary destroot directory before making a binary tarball and
installing into the real target. Because the installation paths in
Gambit's source makefiles aren't prefixed by $(DESTDIR), the destroot
stage actually prematurely installs all the files into the final
target (in the case of MacPorts, into /opt/local/), leaving the
destroot empty and causing the package build to fail.

--
Arto Bendiken | http://bendiken.net/