[gambit-list] Gambit-C submitted to MacPorts

Arto Bendiken arto.bendiken at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 07:20:33 EDT 2007

Hi Christian,

On 4/2/07, Christian Jaeger <christian at jaeger.mine.nu> wrote:

> I'm not using Mac OS X, but I remember that the ports system is using
> Debian's APT under the hood ...

You're probably thinking of Fink (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fink).
MacPorts (formerly known as DarwinPorts) is rather different, and
closer to FreeBSD ports or Gentoo ebuilds than the Debian package
system: there are no pre-built binary packages, everything is fetched
and built from source.

> ...and thought I'd mention the naming of the
> Gambit-C package in Debian (I'm not the maintainer, Kurt B. Kaiser is),
> for what it's worth:

Before submitting Gambit to MacPorts I checked the various packaging
systems like Debian, Gentoo, *BSD, etc. I'm guessing the Debian
package name is probably due to the existence of another unrelated
"gambit" package in Debian, and the obvious alternative name,
"gambit-c", was perhaps not chosen since it is not very Debianesque
due to the spurious non-significant hyphen.

Package names in MacPorts tend to be more human-friendly than in
Debian, so I went with "gambit-c". This also ensures that when
somebody does a "port search gambit" lookup, they'll instantly find
what they're looking for, which would not be the case with a port
named "gambc".

--
Arto Bendiken | http://bendiken.net/