[gambit-list] A new socket interface for Gambit

Jeff Read bitwize at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 05:54:16 EDT 2006

Greetings,

In light of Taylor's and Christian's concerns over socket support for
Gambit -- concerns which I share -- I am currently working on Gamsock,
a library that provides a convenient wrapper over the BSD socket
interface for Gambit.

The code is still not-quite-ready-for-prime-time, but currently I can
bind, connect, and send to and receive from TCP sockets (and
ostensibly Unix-domain and UDP sockets as well, but I haven't tested
these fully).

I anticipate doing a preliminary release soon (fixnum days, but
probably less than 2^4 days). I hope that Gamsock fills a void that
some of you have programming with Gambit.

By the way, I seem unable to subscribe to gambit-list with my gmail
account; it says "you need a valid email address". Is gmail not valid?
Is it considered too spammy by Mailman?

--Jeff