[gambit-list] Strange Gambit error problems DS

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Thu Oct 26 09:41:17 EDT 2006

Marc Feeley wrote:
> Before the call (##interrupt-vector-set! 1 ...) the heartbeat interrupt
> will call the thread scheduler.  It is quite possible that one of the C
> functions called by the thread scheduler is incomplete or contains a
> bug, and that's why you get a crash.
>
> You could avoid getting the crash in this case by calling
> ##interrupt-vector-set! before calling ##heartbeat-interval-set! .

Unfortunately, the runtime system does a "##heartbeat-interval-set! 0.0"
somewhere before I even get to a repl.  My debugging code shows a call
setting the heartbeat interval to less than zero followed by a call
setting it to exactly 0.0.

If I make the default tick is too quick, it hangs.  It looks like it has
already set a vector in the scheme code, though.  I'm stumped.

Unfortunately, _thread.scm seems to be beyond my ability to grasp even
after having read your paper.  If you could take a look at it and at
least point me somewhat in the right direction (like exactly where the
final ##os-condvar-select before the hang is in code), I'd appreciate it.

I have attached the log that it generated just before the hang.  Be
aware that while I try to make sure that everything gets out to flash,
sometimes it misses a line.  Also, the "E" at the end of the line
indicates that it successfully returned from the subprocedure.

> Try: (time->seconds (current-time)) .  The value returned is the number
> of seconds since January 1, 1970.

Works fine.  Thanks for the test.

> #define ___INT_TIME_REPRESENTATION

Already done.  I had to fix up the main system a bit, though.

However, ___set_heartbeat_interval still demands floats.  I'll fix that
later.

Thanks,
-a