[gambit-list] More benchmarks

MichaelL at frogware.com MichaelL at frogware.com
Thu Oct 19 14:30:29 EDT 2006

> So the (optimize-level 2) declaration is being used, but not the
> (module () ...) wrapper.  It is possible that Will could not use that
> trick because some benchmarks could no longer be compiled because
> expressions appear before definitions as you mention.  I'll let Will
> look into this since I don't have access to Chez Scheme.

I took a quick look at some files and it seems that very few have
top-level expressions. In those that did it looked like the expressions
could simply be moved to the bottom. I think it would be worth the change.
In fact I'd personally be interested in the before & after numbers, so I
might make the changes myself. I'll also take a look to see if any other
obvious & simple changes would help.

> If you can run the benchmarks, I would be interested in seeing how
> Gambit compares to Chez Scheme 7.1 on Linux and Macintel.  I can send
> you the latest benchmark suite.

Ok, I should be able to run it before the end of next week. Btw, I have a
PPC Mac. Presumably that's OK. In any event, Chez doesn't currently
support Intel on Mac.

Can I grab the bench suite from your site? Or are you saying that isn't
the latest?

Btw, none of this detracts from your statement that Gambit is the fastest
Open Source Scheme. :-)