[gambit-list] gcc stage timing

Christian christian at pflanze.mine.nu
Mon Oct 16 14:32:38 EDT 2006

At 14:56 Uhr -0400 15.10.2006, Bradley Lucier wrote:
>I see you've CC'ed this to the Gambit list.
>
>I was hoping you'd have some Termite-like "OK, execute this function
>on that node and return the result" infrastructure lying around that
>you could use for this.

If you only want to run this on one machine, I'd say there is no need
for something like Termite: Gambit threads are enough since the
costly work is being done in external tools.

To proove my point, I've put together a parallel map implementation
(see attachment; semaphore implementation based on example from the
manual). I haven't tested it on Marc's code, since I don't have a
multiprocessor machine.

I suggest you increase parallelity-limit to about 12 for your machine.

(BTW I'm unsure how to handle interrupts in such code: if you want to
interrupt some waiting (value #XX) call you have entered in the repl,
chances are that ctl-c will break in another thread, and I don't know
how to interrupt (not terminate) the primordial thread from there and
let continue the former thread.)

Christian.