[gambit-list] How do you run gsc/gcc in beta 20?

Bill Richter richter at math.northwestern.edu
Wed Oct 11 15:35:17 EDT 2006

   [gsc/gsi is] hard to beat for simplicity, and you may get better
   performance because the best set of GCC compiler options will be
   used.

Thanks, Marc!!!  Yeah, I'm the last guy who needs to be thinking about
GCC options myself. OK, I did some crude benchmarking:

 % date; gsc -link Ultra; gcc -O2 -L. -I.  Ultra.c Ultra_.c -lgambc; ./a.out > Ultra.out; date
 13:46:34
 13:49:13
 % date; gsc Ultra; gsi Ultra > Ultra.out; date
 13:50:36
 13:53:12
 % date; gsc -link U19; gcc -O2 -L. -I.  U19.c U19_.c -lgambc; \
:-( ./a.out > U19.out; date
 13:56:18
 14:11:29
 % date; gsc U19; gsi U19 > U19.out1; date
 14:11:51
 14:26:39

Both jobs ran in about the same time, about 3 minutes & 15 minutes
resp.  For the second gsc/gsi, which is technically shorter, someone
logged into the machine & started running firefox.  So I'd like to see
what happens on the jobs that run 6 hours.