[gambit-list] C and C++ versions of Gambit on the same computer

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue May 2 18:03:53 EDT 2006

On 2-May-06, at 6:57 PM, Pierre-Alexandre Fournier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to compile two version of Gambit on my computer, one
> for C "gsc", and another for C++ "c-plusplus-gsc". Is it possible
> to add an option to "configure" to have a "c-plusplus-" prefix (or
> something similar) in front of the programs?

Why do you want this?  I'm asking because the "c-plusplus-gsc" and
"gsc" would have the same input/output behavior because the output
(.c file) is code that conforms to C *and* C++.  You would see a
difference if you are loading dynamically compiled modules into "gsc"
but I suspect that is not a common thing.

Where there is an important difference it is in the runtime library
that is constructed.  Another important difference is if your are
compiling with the "-dynamic" flag (but then the only difference is
the C or C++ compiler that is called by the ~~/bin/gsc-cc-o script
that is called by gsc).

What I'm getting at is that to get what you want you should build the
Gambit system twice, and install it in two different directories:

     ./configure --prefix=/u/me/gc
     make
     make install
     make mostlyclean
     ./configure --prefix=/u/me/gc++ --enable-cplusplus
     make
     make install

and then add /u/me/gc/bin and /u/me/gc++/bin to you path, and rename
the binaries in /u/me/gc++/bin as needed (gsc -> c-plusplus-gsc, ...).