[gambit-list] Scheme include path error

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Jun 16 15:49:06 EDT 2006

On 16-Jun-06, at 11:02 AM, Stephane Le Cornec wrote:

> (ok, maybe I should have used "Scheme include path error message" as
> the subject. Less confusion that way.)
>

> "make install" does not copy header.scm to /usr/local/Gambit-C/lib.
> This and all other building-specific files are under the
> ~/dev/gambc40b17 file tree.
>
> I'll admit this attempt was a hackey enough to fail. <G> I find it
> more natural to search relative to the local file than to the current
> directory. But the resulting error uses the full correct path of the
> file and not the path where it was actually searched. Hence this
> thread.

OK!  I now understand that the problem was in the error message
itself which was indicating the incorrect path to the file the
compiler failed to open.  Indeed that is quite confusing!  I've fixed
the problem, and also improved the analogous error message in the
interpreter, which did not indicate the full path.  In other words:

% pwd
/Users/feeley/gambit
% cat ~/test2/test.scm
(include "header.scm")
------------------------ Old behaviour:
% gsi ~/test2/test.scm
*** ERROR IN "../test2/test.scm"@1.1 -- Can't open file "header.scm"
% gsc -c ~/test2/test.scm
*** ERROR -- Can't find file "/Users/feeley/gambit/header.scm"
% gsi ~/test2/test.scm
*** ERROR IN "../test2/test.scm"@1.1 -- Can't open file "/Users/
feeley/test2/header.scm"
% gsc -c ~/test2/test.scm
*** ERROR -- Can't find file "/Users/feeley/test2/header.scm"