[gambit-list] Newby question on compiling Gambit output

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Jul 11 17:22:16 EDT 2006

First of all beta 9 is quite old and it has a few known bugs on
Windows.  You should use beta 17.

After a "./configure" and a "make" and a "make install", Gambit-C
will be installed in:

    c:/msys/1.0/local/Gambit-C

Then you can compile a standalone program like this:

feeley at NEO-XP ~/gambc40b17
$ cat foo.scm
(display "hello world\n")

feeley at NEO-XP ~/gambc40b17
$ c:/msys/1.0/local/Gambit-C/bin/gsc foo.scm

feeley at NEO-XP ~/gambc40b17
$ gcc -I c:/msys/1.0/local/Gambit-C/include foo.c foo_.c c:/msys/1.0/
local/Gambit-C/lib/libgambc.a -lws2_32

feeley at NEO-XP ~/gambc40b17
$ a.exe -:tc
hello world

Of course you can put c:/msys/1.0/local/Gambit-C/bin in your PATH to
access gsi and gsc easier.

As Guillaume Germain mentioned it is probably easier to compile your
program dynamically and load it using the interpreter:

feeley at NEO-XP ~/gambc40b17
$ c:/msys/1.0/local/Gambit-C/bin/gsc -dynamic foo.scm

feeley at NEO-XP ~/gambc40b17
$ c:/msys/1.0/local/Gambit-C/bin/gsi -:tc foo
hello world

Note that the -:tc option is a temporary work around for a bug on
Windows.

Marc