[gambit-list] I/O issues (longish)

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Jan 29 15:18:32 EST 2006

On 29-Jan-06, at 9:55 AM, Christian wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to write a program which I can use as wrapper around gambit
> in interactive sessions, especially in emacs, to provide more sensible
> buffering for making output appear faster in emacs.

It will take some time before I have a chance to digest your message
fully.  However, concerning "a more sensible buffering" of output, I
have recently added control over buffering which should satisfy your
needs.  Have you overlooked this or is there a problem with this
mechanism?

Specifically, you can select the buffering type for the terminal with
runtime options:

     gsi -:tu     unbuffered
     gsi -:tn     newline buffered
     gsi -:tf     fully buffered

Also, you can change the buffering dynamically (and character and end-
of-line encoding), from within Scheme, with

    (port-settings-set! port settings)

for example

    (port-settings-set! (current-output-port) '(buffering: line))
    (port-settings-set! (current-output-port) '(char-encoding: utf8
buffering: #t))