[gambit-list] Compiling syntax-case.scm

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Wed Jan 25 14:43:13 EST 2006

Bradley Lucier wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Anton van Straaten wrote:
>
>> I can't compile syntax-case.scm on my machine, either, although I
>> think that's mainly because I don't usually have enough free RAM,  and
>> gcc eventually dies with an allocation error or other fault.
>>
>> For some code I ported to Gambit, all I needed was syntax-rules,  and
>> I had better luck with Al Petrofsky's portable syntax-rules  expander:

> I have a question---is the time that syntax-case takes to expand your
> source code so long compared to the time required to compile or run
> your application that you need to compile syntax-case.scm rather than
> running it interpreted?

No, I wanted to compile it in order to simplify distribution and
installation -- a single executable with no dependencies makes life easy.

In any case, the compilation requirements weren't the main reason I
stopped using syntax-case.  I was in a hurry, and when I hit the
define-macro issue I mentioned, I decided that the Alexpander, which I
was already familiar with, would be the line of least resistance.

Anton