[gambit-list] Compiling syntax-case.scm

Anton van Straaten anton at appsolutions.com
Wed Jan 25 13:02:54 EST 2006

I can't compile syntax-case.scm on my machine, either, although I think
that's mainly because I don't usually have enough free RAM, and gcc
eventually dies with an allocation error or other fault.

For some code I ported to Gambit, all I needed was syntax-rules, and I
had better luck with Al Petrofsky's portable syntax-rules expander:

http://petrofsky.org/src/alexpander.scm

...although it's a bit less convenient to use, because you have to
pre-expand any source containing syntax-rules macros.  Nothing a
makefile can't handle, of course.

Another issue I ran into with syntax-case.scm is that its define-macro
implementation isn't completely compatible with Gambit's native
define-macro: it doesn't support the same syntax for rest arguments,
i.e. (define-macro (foo a . b) ...) isn't supported.  This is a problem
if you're using macro-based code written for Gambit, although it could
probably be fixed fairly easily.  But using Alexpander resolved that
too, since it doesn't affect Gambit's native define-macro.

Anton