[gambit-list] Oracle

Christian christian at pflanze.mine.nu
Wed Jan 25 11:32:57 EST 2006

Hi Joel

Welcome back in Scheme circles.

I've not tried, but you should be able to use Oracle through my
"gperl" Perl interface and the Perl DBI Oracle driver. gperl is
bundled with http://scheme.mine.nu/gambit/chjmodule/ . There's a
readme file which should help getting it to run (*). You should be
able to use the gperl code by just including it and it's dependencies
instead of using chjmodule if you don't want to use the latter. Just
ask if you have questions or problems.

Note that, as already mentioned on this list, while one scheme thread
is running in C libraries (regardless whether it's Perl or something
else), other scheme threads don't have a chance to run unless special
provisions are taken. Potential solutions include manual pthread
creation and synchronization, GHC style FFI extensions for doing that
automatically, and Marc Feeley introducing system threads into
Gambit. Of course, not using scheme threads, but separate processes
(fork) and message passing (Termite?) may be a viable workaround.

Christian.

* http://scheme.mine.nu/gambit/chjmodule/chjmodule-20051128-README.gperl