[gambit-list] Incremental garbage collector

Chris Newcombe c_r_newcombe at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 1 09:01:38 EST 2006

Great!   Anyone else?  :)

More rhetoric: Isn't this almost a practical necessity for applications that
want fine-grained (millisecond) timeouts SRFI 21?

I don't see garbage collection mentioned at all in SRFI 21 or 18, and I
agree that it is a theorectically transparent issue.  But it could easily be
a major practical issue for long-running soft-realtime applications that
have hard service-level agreements on latency.

Other systems (e.g. Orbitz, point #9 in http://www.paulgraham.com/carl.html)
work around this by having custom versions of cons etc. that use
statically-sized pools, and they die if the pool is consumed (i.e. a
standard embedded-systems approach).   It would be great to not have to go
that route!

Thanks,

Chris