[gambit-list] Bugs in gambit 4.15

david rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 15:40:00 EST 2005

On 11/12/05, Bradley Lucier <lucier at math.purdue.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2005, at 1:53 PM, david rush wrote:
>
> > 2 - (display '(foo bar)) comes out as foobar - I don't know if this is
> > valid RnRS or not, but every scheme I've used has put spaces in
> > between, including gambit 3.0
>
> This isn't a bug, it's a feature.  (Not that Marc's decision here
> couldn't be criticized ...)
>
> See the discussion on rrrs-authors from 2000 (!):
>
> http://zurich.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/rrrs-authors/2000-August/
> 002441.html

Point taken. While I have to say that I'm not keen on the new behavior
(because I've got lots of code that was built using the usual display
sematics), it's definitely impossible to call it non-conformant.
Personally, I used to use this riff:

    (for-each display `("this is something: " ,(calculate something) #\newline)

to achieve what Gambit 4 provides us for free. Then I decided that
parens in my log files were no more annoying than the practices in
other logging packages :)

Consider this feature to be officially whinged about. I've mostly
shifted over to WRITE at this point anyway...

david rush
--
DIsruptive Technology!