[gambit-list] Gambit-C 4.0 beta 13

Bruce Butterfield bab at entricom.com
Fri May 13 17:44:30 EDT 2005

Eric Merritt wrote:
>   Trusting data (much less code) to the client is just not safe.
> Theoretically you could encrypt the data and trust the returned data,
> but there are any number of places where that particular path could
> (and will if the target is attractive enough) will fail. By storing
> data on the server and only associating it with a client you remove a
> whole class of possible security issues. I don't believe that the
> benefits of storing state client side outweigh the steps that would
> need to be taken to ensure security.

Well, there's data and then there's data. What if the continuation could
not be unserialized into anything useful for attacking the server -
sandboxes are useful for this. I'm not trying to minimize the security
issue here but there are some real advantages moving closer to a
peer-to-peer model vs. dumb client/smart server.