[gambit-list] Gambit-C 4.0 beta 13

Dominique Boucher schemeway at sympatico.ca
Fri May 13 10:40:42 EDT 2005

 > When I run the example, it is indeed a little slower when interpreted,
 > but only by 1-2 seconds.  I'm not experiencing 30+ second delays for
 > whatever reason.

1 or 2 seconds for a web server is a HUGE delay. Suppose that you try
to serve hundreds of pages simultaneously... In my application domain
(speech-enabled applications), such delays are unacceptable.

I know Marc is a not a big proponent of the other web-continuation
approach (the one taken by PLT Scheme, for example) that keeps the
continuation on the server. But for some domains like mine, there is
no need to worry with the back-button problem. So the other approach
is viable and would not incur this serialization penalty.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Dominique Boucher, Ph.D.
The Scheme Way Project