[gambit-list] Gambit-C 4.0 beta 13

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu May 12 19:16:51 EDT 2005

On 12-May-05, at 6:41 PM, Guillaume Germain wrote:

> On Thu, 12 May 2005 ben at fuhok.net wrote:
>
>> My guess is that this problem doesn't have much to do with your gambit
>> installation or with the speed of compiled vs interpreted code.
>
> I don't think that's correct.  Gambit's serialization of continuation
> is slow, at least in part due to linear lookups being done on all the
> serialized data when constructing the external representation.
> Because of the closure representation used in the interpreter a lot of
> data gets included.  The new table facility might be used to help
> implement this in a more efficient way.

Indeed using tables to implement serialization would speed things up.
Currently association lists are used, and this leads to a quadratic
time complexity.  I had started changing the implementation to use
tables but ran into some problems related to pretty-printing, so it
will have to wait till the next release.