[gambit-list] Is porting to word-oriented machines important?

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Tue Mar 29 22:10:36 EST 2005

There is some code in include/gambit.h that attempts to allow Gambit-C
4.0beta to run on machines like the older Crays that have only word
(64-bit) access and not byte (8-bit) access to memory.  I'm not sure
that this code works, and it's getting in the way of some low-level
optimizations I'd like to make to the various [u,s,f][8,16,32,64]vector
primitives in gambit.h.

So my question---is it of interest to anyone to run Gambit-C on
machines that have only word access to memory?

Brad