[gambit-list] running remote jobs with `time'

Bill Richter richter at math.northwestern.edu
Mon Feb 21 00:21:02 EST 2005

I haven't been able to run niced background jobs, and I think I
finally know why, because `time' wants to print to the console which
no longer exists.  But I'm not quite there yet:

The Gambit manual says `time' uses the interaction channel:

 - special form: time EXPR
     The `time' special form evaluates EXPR and returns the result.  As
     a side effect it displays a message on the interaction channel
     which indicates how long the evaluation took (in real time and cpu
     time), how much time was spent in the garbage collector, how much
     memory was allocated during the evaluation and how many minor and
     major page faults occured (0 is reported if not running under
     UNIX).

Now the node "Runtime options" says I can change the interaction channel:

   Both `gsi' and `gsc' as well as executable programs compiled and
   linked using `gsc' take a `-:' option which supplies parameters to
   the runtime system.

`-'
     The REPL interaction channel will be standard input and standard
     output.

I have a 1-line file
"6.scm"
(time (pretty-print 6))

So to me, the manual says that

   % gsi -:- 6.scm > six-out

should print the time info as well as the output 6 to the file
"six-out".  But it doesn't:

(banach)PolyTree> gsi -:- 6.scm > six
(time (pretty-print 6))
    0 ms real time
    0 ms cpu time (0 user, 0 system)
    no collections
    104 bytes allocated
    no minor faults
    5 major faults
(banach)PolyTree> more six-out
6

Now it doesn't make much difference where the time info goes, unless
I'm running a job overnight, nice-ed in the bg.  These nice-ed bg jobs
of mine hang, run for days, and I think because they want to print to
the console, which no longer exists.  So people must know how to solve
this problem.  Help!