[gambit-list] gambit 4 beta 12 on Win32

Dan Hristodorescu dhristodorescu at borderfree.com
Wed Feb 9 09:59:33 EST 2005

Hi Patrick,

I had success with mingw (using msys shell) and I think it's a better option
than cygwin since it doesn't depend on any other dlls.
There are some tricks to make it work with the windows command prompt since
after installation it assumes it's a unix environment and tries to execute a
shell script. You'll have to create a batch file for that in order to
compile with gsc.
I could compile standalone exes, libraries to load in the interpreter
including Meroon object system.
I compile with gsc from the command prompt (the interpreter and compiler
have some display problems with msys) and afterwards I use bash to compile
the generated C files with gcc.
After a lot of work (trying different ways to do it) I finally got a
standalone exe with Meroon included and some test classes.
If you need any help to set it up let me know.

It does also work with Visual Studio 6 but you'll have to update the
projects in the misc directory (they are old).
I cannot comment on performance of the two different compilers, I only got
some "line too long" errors in VS6 but it works.
My choice was primarily based on the fact that mingw is open source and a
lot of C libraries come with autoconf instead of VS projects.

Regards,
Dan Hristodorescu.