[gambit-list] Re: Gambit is great: the manual should advertise better

Marc Feeley feeley at IRO.UMontreal.CA
Tue Feb 8 16:59:44 EST 2005

> Thanks, Brad!  I re-ran my job on machine with 1.28 GB, and got almost
> the same: 112648201888 bytes allocated, and still 3204 collections.

Why do you think 112GB allocated is incorrect?  This is the memory
"allocated" by the program.  It is not the maximal live data used by
the program.  Of course most of the allocated data is reclaimed by the
garbage collector.  The "allocated bytes" statistic indicates the sum
of all the size of objects allocated.  For example, on a 32 bit
machine, each call to "cons" counts for 24 bytes (each field of the
pair takes 4 bytes (header, car, cdr) and there is an extra factor of
2 for the space reserved in the to-space so that the garbage collector
can copy the pair if it is live when the GC is performed).