[gambit-list] Incremental garbage collector

Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org
Sat Dec 31 01:35:49 EST 2005

On 12/30/05, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Unfortunately the incremental collector described in the ISMM98 paper
> has suffered from bit-rot, and is not distributed with Gambit.  I may
> resurect the code if there is sufficient interest in this (I know
> some people are interested in developing video-games with Gambit, and
> an incremental GC would be very useful for this).

For anyone who is interested in modern GC research: I found [1] to be
very enjoyable.
[1] http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=2168
(it's a video, but serves as an introduction to the papers).

I spent an hour of so bumbling through the Gambit code last night and
it's pretty tough going. This is, of course, because Gambit is a lot
more involved than many programs. But a document in the tradition of
the HACKING files which can sometimes be found would be very useful.
Maybe then researchers will improve your GC for you, rather than
hacking yet another JVM :)

AGL

Adam Langley                                      agl at imperialviolet.org
http://www.imperialviolet.org                       650-283-9641