[gambit-list] test driven development

Will Farr wmfarr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 15:45:22 EDT 2005

If the function references read-line as a top-level binding, you might
get away with a macro (I guess I've got macros on the brain) like:

(with-stub-bindings ((read-line (lambda () 'do-nothing))
                     (display (lambda (x) 'do-nothing)))
  'run-test)

which expands into:

(let ((store-rl (gensym))
      (store-display (gensym)))
  `(dynamic-wind
       (lambda ()
         (set! ,store-rl read-line)
         (set! ,store-display display))
       (lambda () 'run-test)
       (lambda ()
         (set! read-line ,store-rl)
         (set! display ,store-display))))

This is like the parameterize macro of PLT (and maybe Gambit?).  It
seems a lot cleaner than requiring that functions you want to stub to
be arguments.  (Of course, it's dirty as hell in the sense that it's
unhygienic :).

Will