[gambit-list] Any plans to support alternative IO mechanisms? (epoll, kqueue etc)

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Apr 27 10:32:02 EDT 2005

There are no plans to use epoll/kqueue.  However, the I/O runtime
system has been written in a style that allows easily changing
the underlying I/O synchronization mechanism.  Currently "select"
is used on POSIX systems, and MsgWaitForMultipleObjects on
Windows, but it would be fairly easy (a day or two at most)
to include support for another mechanism.

The function ___device_select in os_io.c will need rewriting,
and also ___device_select_add_fd.

I'm driven by need, and currently select is good enough.  So
if you feel strongly about epoll/kqueue you have to bring some
convincing arguments and show a real need.

Marc