[gambit-list] Using read in a networked environment

Eric Merritt cyberlync at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 18:03:39 EST 2004

I am using gambit to write a client/server application. I am *very*
tempted to just use the read and write functions provided with gambit
for the protocol. I don't think this is a problem sense the resulting
forms will never be evaled. However, there is one issue and that is if
an attacker pumps a *very* large sexpr into the server filling
available memory. As far as I can tell there isn't a way to define a
maximum amount of data on a read. There are two obvious solutions to
this. The first is to hack the read function slightly to allow this.
The other is to just bite the bullet and write a custom protocol
(again ;).

 I hate modifying standard functions and I hate reimplementing
something that already exists and mostly works. Perhaps one of you
have some advice.

--
I'm a programmer, I don't have to spell correctly; I just have to
spell consistently