[gambit-list] Embedding Gambit

Joel Reymont joelr at well.com
Sun Dec 5 13:51:07 EST 2004

I'm looking to embed Gambit into my poker server and client. Gambit will
be half of the app. The other half will be RakNet (http://
www.rakkarsoft.com/) for the server and SDL (http://www.libsdl.org) for
the client.

The server loop will be getting packets from the network layer and
passing them on to Gambit. On the client side it will be more or less the
same except there's the SDL GUI event loop.

I understand that I can build the RakNet interface as some sort of an
extension object for Gambit and do the main loop in Gambit itself. It
does not seem to be applicable to the client, though.

Can I have my app handle the main loop and pass events to Gambit? What is
the best way to accomplish this?

I would also like to have a REPL in my code so that I could type LISP
commands on the client and have them run on the server. This could be a
compile-time option so as not to compromise production installations.

    Thanks, Joel