[Snow-users-list] high-priority snow packages and package naming

Julian Graham joolean at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 18:08:24 EDT 2007

> It will be too slow to be of much use on most implementations.
> Perhaps it has utility as a reference implementation.
>
> The most practical thing for Snow would be to mostly avoid
> stacking up dependencies on the details of regexps and to
> make sure that systems that natively offer Posix or Perl
> regexps can take advantage of that.   Sad but true.

Yes, it probably is too slow.

Just so I understand, though, you mean that a Snow regexp package
should present a standard interface that maps to whatever the native
implementation is for the Snow host in use?  Any preferences as to
what that interface would look like?  Going with Snow's least common
denominator approach, what's the set of regexp features that all Snow
hosts have in common?  (Compiled vs. non-compiled regexps; submatches;
replacement; etc.?)