[Lisa_teatalk] [Lisa_montreal] [Tea Tutorial] Guillaume Alain (MILA) Oct 20th 10:30AM AA6214

Guillaume Alain guillaume.alain.umontreal at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 13:20:02 EDT 2017

Hello MILA !

To give you a certain idea of what that vague title means, here's how I
would describe my tutorial :

"""
Running many machine learning experiments sometimes feels more like a
babysitting job. Sometimes it feels like you’re drowning in pickle files
and you’re no longer sure which hyperparameters are responsible for what.

Have you ever retrained a complete model because you wanted to adjust the
axes on a plot that you generated at the end ?

Have you considered that this pretrained model that you got online uses
inputs in [-1.0, 1.0] instead of [0.0, 1.0] ?

Have you experienced a GPU shortage before a conference deadline ?

I will present a collection of ideas and tips that are obvious a
posteriori, but that were learned the hard way. It’s not formal theory,
it’s not a specific set of guidelines that you have to follow, and
everybody’s workflow is a little different. But I hope that I can provide
you with concepts that you can apply to your particular workflow for
writing and running machine learning experiments.
"""

My estimate is that I've got about one hour of material to cover, but I'll
stay for longer than that for discussions and whatever. See you on Friday !