[Lisa_teatalk] Tea Talk by Vincent Dumoulin

Jörg Bornschein j.bornschein at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:47:24 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

this Friday we will have Vincent Dumoulin present recent joint work
with  Francesco
Visin:

Have you accepted the transposed convolution as your personal lord and
saviour?

When: Friday, 29th April, 2:30pm
Where: AA3195
Who: Vincent Dumoulin

Abstract

Have you ever struggled reading someone else's CNN code? Do you sometimes
have trouble understanding why on Earth some convolutional layers produce
the output size they do? Do transposed convolutional layers look like black
magic to you? Then the convolution arithmetic guide Francesco Visin and I
wrote (http://arxiv.org/abs/1603.07285) is just the thing you need! During
this tea talk, I propose to summarize the guide with neat and colourful
animations and very little math.

In better terms, from the guide's abstract:

We introduce a guide to help deep learning practitioners understand and
manipulate convolutional neural network architectures. The guide clarifies
the relationship between various properties (input shape, kernel shape,
zero padding, strides and output shape) of convolutional, pooling and
transposed convolutional layers, as well as the relationship between
convolutional and transposed convolutional layers. Relationships are
derived for various cases, and are illustrated in order to make them
intuitive.

See you there!