[Lisa_teatalk] Talk by Guido Montufar: Thu. 3.12, 11:00am

Jörg Bornschein bornj at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Nov 30 17:16:15 EST 2015

Hi,

this Thursday, shortly before the IBM visit and before NIPS, we will have a
talk by Guido Montufar from the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the
Sciences in Leipzig:

    A Theory of Cheap Control in Embodied Systems

hope to see many of you there,

-- Abstract & Info --
Who: Guido F. Montufar
When: Thursday, December 3rd, 11:00 am
Where: AA 3195

A Theory of Cheap Control in Embodied Systems
http://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1004427

Given a body and an environment, what is the brain complexity needed in
order to generate a desired set of behaviors? In this talk I will discuss
an approach that links the physical and behavioral constraints of an agent
to the required controller complexity. I will exemplify the approach with a
conditional restricted Boltzmann machine as a controller architecture and
present experiments conducted with a virtual six-legged walking creature.