[Lisa_teatalk] Talk by Luca Rigazio on Wednesday

Kyung Hyun Cho cho.k.hyun at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 06:15:55 EST 2015

Dear all,

We have a talk this Wednesday by Luca Rigazio on convolutional neural
networks at 14.00. See the details below.

Hope to see many of you there!
- K

---
Luca Rigazio - Panasonic Silicon Valley Laboratory

ML background (MS, no Ph.D., sorry), I worked extensively in speech
recognition/NLU, now I run PSVL in Cupertino, California, Panasonic's elite
corporate innovation lab. Last year I caught the deep-learning virus (like
many) and started working on it (like most), spun off a new dedicated team.
We are still learning but enjoy doing cool stuff, I enjoy coding new
algorithms with the team (mostly C++, don't like Matlab, starting to cope
with Python).
Today I will tell you a couple of things about us and our company, present
some initial results especially in Vision, and hope to learn a lot from
your great group!

--

Deep Clustered Convolutional Kernels

DNN's have recently achieved state of the art performance: in practice the
network architecture has
to be manually set by domain experts, generally by a costly trial and error
procedure, which often
accounts for a large portion of the final system performance.
We view this as a limitation and propose a training algorithm that
automatically optimizes network architecture, by progressively
increasing model complexity and then eliminating model redundancy by
selectively removing parameters at training time.
For convolutional neural networks, our method relies on iterative
split/merge clustering of convolutional kernels interleaved by stochastic
gradient descent.
We present a training algorithm and experimental results on three different
vision tasks, showing improved performance compared to similarly sized
hand-crafted architectures.