[Lisa_teatalk] Tea Talk by Julian Serban this Friday (27 Feb) 14.00 - 15.00 @AA3195

Kyung Hyun Cho cho.k.hyun at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:00:21 EST 2015

Dear all,

I'd like to remind all of you that we have a teatalk this afternoon by
Julian. He will tell us the exciting news that IBM hasn't solved playing
chess after all. See the updated abstract at the end of this email.

===
Speaker: Julian Serban
Date/Time: 27 Feb 2015 14.00-15.00
Place: AA3195
Title: Learning to Play Chess with Deep Learning
Abstract:
Games are an excellent platform for studying machine learning. Here we have
potentially infinite training data and crystal clear performance metrics.
Although, computers have been able to defeat human chess champions for
years, I will argue that chess is actually very far from being "solved". It
is also different from many problems we study in Deep Learning, because it
is highly discrete yet emits a rich spatial and temporal structure.

In this talk, I will present promising results into learning to play chess
from scratch, i.e. with minimum human expert knowledge. I will show
different neural networks trained to both predict and play chess using
supervised learning and reinforcement learning, and further try to quantify
what features they have learned. Along the way, I will also give a gentle
introduction to some core reinforcement learning concepts.