[Lisa_teatalk] Tea Talk 13 July Friday @13.00 Z-209 by Dustin Webb

Kyung Hyun Cho cho.k.hyun at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:50:47 EDT 2014

Dear all,

This Friday at 13.00, Dustin will give a tea talk about building a
deep/multilayer kernel based on the paper <Kernel Methods for Deep
Learning> by Youngmin Cho and Lawrence K. Saul presented earlier at NIPS
2009.

Note that the place is not the usual lecture hall in the same building, but
is Z-209 in the neighbouring building (Pavillon Claire-McNicoll).

Hope to see many of you on Friday!
- Cho

====

- Speaker: Dustin Webb (University of Utah)
- Date and Time: 13 July 2014 @13.00
- Place: Z-209
- Abstract:

We introduce a new family of positive-definite kernel functions that mimic
the
computation in large, multilayer neural nets. These kernel functions can be
used
in shallow architectures, such as support vector machines (SVMs), or in deep
kernel-based architectures that we call multilayer kernel machines (MKMs).
We
evaluate SVMs and MKMs with these kernel functions on problems designed to
illustrate the advantages of deep architectures. On several problems, we
obtain
better results than previous, leading benchmarks from both SVMs with
Gaussian
kernels as well as deep belief nets.

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~saul/papers/nips09_kernel.pdf