[Lisa_teatalk] Tea-talk: Thursday, April 11 @ 2pm (lisa lab)

Guillaume Desjardins guillaume.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 16:54:46 EDT 2013

Please join us for tomorrow's tea-talk, by our newest recruit Stephan,
and Çağlar. The talk will be held from 2:00-3:00 pm in the lisa lab,
as usual.

The next two tea-talks slots (April 18th + 25th) will be reserved for
ICLR rehearsal talks, so please ping me to schedule them if you
haven't already.

Speaker: Stephan Gouws
Abstract/Bio:
Stephan Gouws is a PhD research exchange student at UdeM from
Stellenbosch University in South Africa. Besides learning French and
hoping for "real" summer to finally roll around, he also works on
applying neural language models to transfer-learning problems
involving sequence-tagging models in natural language processing. An
example might be to extract the names of companies, people and
products from raw text drawn from two different domains, when labelled
information is only available for one of the domains. Stephan's talk
will serve as a quick introduction to who he is, where he's from, and
a little more on what he is working on.

Speaker: Çağlar Gülçehre
Abstract:
In our accepted ICLR 2013 paper(Knowledge Matters:Importance of prior
information for optimization), we have shown that it is possible to
solve really hard/abtract vision problems by incorporating hints at
the intermediate level of representation and disentangling the factors
of variations. In our followup research project, we aim to expand that
approach to harder&possibly more abstract problems in both
biologically and computationally more plausible way. We are still at
the early stage of our project and the purpose of this talk is to get
feedback and criticism on our research.