[Lisa_teatalk] Tea-Talk by Gregoire Mesnil, Thursday, Nov 22nd @ 3pm

Guillaume Desjardins guillaume.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 17:12:54 EST 2012

Slight change of plan for next week's tea-talk. Gregoire will be
giving us an overview of his recent work at Microsoft Research. The
talk will be held Thursday, Nov 22nd at 3pm (as usual). David (and
Razvan's) tea-talk on motion compression will be moved to the week
after NIPS (December 13th).

====

An abstract of what has been done this summer with Xiaodong He at
Microsoft Research Redmond. There is Sequential Neural Network in this
work and I would appreciate the feedback of experts in RNN to know if
it's actually new or not. We plan to publish this work soon. Here it
goes:

Abstract: Neural Network for Spoken Language Understanding (SLU)

One of the key problems in spoken language understanding is
slot-filling/concept extraction. During this summer, we have worked on
this problem using neural networks from three aspects. 1) at the frame
level, we built a NN based slot classification model. When initialized
with pre-trained word embeddings (SENNA), it gives significant
improvement over logistic regression models using n-gram features.  2)
at the sequence level, we developed a new (?) sequential NN (SeqNN)
model, which is extended from the Recurrent NN, to take into account
sequential dependencies. When evaluated on the ATIS data set, it
outperforms the CRF baseline significantly. 3) we further studied the
robustness of the SeqNN model under noisy/adverse condition. We will
present the newly created bi-lingual (En-Zh) ATIS database, and
discuss the model’s performance under a cross-lingual SLU setting with
“Bing translator” noise. We will conclude the presentation with
comprehensive experimental results and discussion of future works.