[Lisa_teatalk] Tea Talk Tomorrow!

Aaron Courville aaron.courville at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 13:13:54 EDT 2012

Hi All,

Our regularly scheduled tea talk this week with be given by Nicolas
Boulanger-Lewandowski. Nicolas will tell about some of his recent
work. Hope to see you all there.

When:  15h00, Thursday March 15th, 2012
Where: LISA lab (AA3256)

Title: Discriminative non-negative matrix factorization for polyphonic
music transcription

Non-negative matrix factorization (NMF) is an unsupervised technique to
decompose data into additive-only components. It is useful to infer
interpretable recurring note events in a power spectrogram, or facial features
in emotion recognition data. After reviewing recently developed models for
polyphonic music generation, I will use NMF to transcribe audio excerpts into
musical notation. I will introduce two discriminative criteria, both in the
latent variable and autoencoder perspectives, to influence the NMF decomposition
and improve the resulting transcription.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron C. Courville