[Lisa_teatalk] Tea Talk Tomorrow!

Aaron Courville aaron.courville at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 10:29:25 EDT 2012

Hi,

Tomorrow we have a special Tea Talk at a special Time. A visitor,
Pardis Noorzad, will present some of his work with Prof. Bob L. Sturm.
Hope to see you there.

When: Tomorrow, Monday March 12th, 2012
Where: TBA

"SPARROW: Sparse approximation weighted regression"

Abstract:
We propose sparse approximation weighted regression (SPARROW), which
is a nonparametric method of regression that takes advantage of the
sparse linear approximation of a query point. SPARROW employs weights
based on sparse approximation in the context of locally constant,
locally linear, and locally quadratic regression to generate better
estimates than for e.g.,  k-nearest neighbor regression and more
generally, kernel-weighted local polynomial regression. Our
experimental results show that SPARROW performs competitively.

This is joint work with Prof. Bob L. Sturm.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron C. Courville