[Lisa_teatalk] Tea Talk: ICML practice talk

Aaron Courville aaron.courville at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 06:12:12 EDT 2012

Hi all,

In our normal tea talk time slot, we will have an ICML practice talk
by Nicolas Boulanger-Lewandowski. Please be there with your
constructively critical hats on.

When: 15h00 Thursday June 21, 2012 (i.e. tomorrow)
Where: TBA (hopefully AA3195)

Title and Abstract:
Modeling Temporal Dependencies in High-Dimensional Sequences:
Application to Polyphonic Music Generation and Transcription

We investigate the problem of modeling symbolic sequences of
polyphonic music in a completely general piano-roll representation. We
introduce a probabilistic model based on distribution estimators
conditioned on a recurrent neural network that is able to discover
temporal dependencies in high-dimensional sequences. Our approach
outperforms many traditional models of polyphonic music on a variety
of realistic datasets. We show how our musical language model can
serve as a symbolic prior to improve the accuracy of polyphonic
transcription.

Cheers,
Aaron

--