[Lisa_teatalk] Tea Talk Tomorrow!

Aaron Courville aaron.courville at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 20:24:28 EDT 2012

Welcome the return of the tea talk series (well for now anyway)! This
week we have Guillaume Desjardins letting us about some of his resent
insights into subspace auto-encoders. Hope to see you there.

When: Thursday, April 19th (tomorrow): 15h00
Where: LISA Lab (AA3256)

Title: Subspace Auto-Encoders

In an ssRBM, each hidden unit h_i is invariant to the subspace spanned
by the filters being pooled over. This appears to be a more powerful
(and general ?) form of invariance than traditional sum, max or mean
pooling. Additionally, it has the benefit that while h_i gains a
degree of invariance, knowledge about the particular configuration of
the input remains accessible through the slab variables, which can be
interpreted as coordinates within this subspace.

This view motivates a novel approach to pooling in the context of
auto-encoders. I will thus present the subspace auto-encoder
framework, which replaces slab variables by linear projections onto
filter sets and where hidden units are made sensitive to the norm of
these projections. I will discuss its relationship to existing methods
in the literature, as well as issues encountered so far. Time
allowing, I will also discuss various alternative formulations which
have been discussed with Pascal and Aaron.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron C. Courville