[Lisa_teatalk] Reminder TEA TALK TODAY, 13h30 @ AA1207

Aaron Courville aaron.courville at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:52:10 EST 2011

Greeting people of LISA,

Tomorrow we have Yann Dauphin practising his NIPS oral. Be there. NOTE: new
time and new location.

When: 13h30 Wednesday Nov. 23.
Where:  AA1207.

The title is "The Manifold Tangent Classifier". Maybe you could also
mention it's a practice talk for NIPS.

Abstract:
We combine three important ideas present in previous work for building
classifiers: the semi-supervised hypothesis (the input distribution
contains information about the classifier), the unsupervised manifold
hypothesis (data density concentrates near low-dimensional manifolds), and
the manifold hypothesis for classification (different classes correspond to
disjoint manifolds separated by low density). We exploit a new algorithm
for capturing manifold structure (high-order contractive autoencoders) and
we show how it builds a topological atlas of charts, each chart being
characterized by the principal singular vectors of the Jacobian of a
representation mapping. This representation learning algorithm can be
stacked to yield a deep architecture, and we combine it with a domain
knowledge-free version of the TangentProp algorithm to encourage the
classifier to be insensitive to local directions changes along the
manifold. Record-breaking results are obtained and we find that the learned
tangent directions are very meaningful.

Cheers,
Aaron

--