[gambit-list] on macos: clang over gcc

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Sep 20 10:37:18 EDT 2017

By default the configure script searches for gcc before looking for clang.  However… X-code installs “clang” and also “gcc”, and that “gcc” is not the GNU gcc… it is a wrapper around clang/llvm.  So to install the GNU gcc you need to use homebrew like this:

% brew install gcc-7

and then tell the configure script to use that compiler:

% ./configure --enable-single-host CC=gcc-7

You will notice a dramatic decrease in compilation time and in execution time (about 3 or 4 times faster execution if I recall correctly).  On my machine a “make -j8” after a “make clean” takes 30 seconds.

Marc