[gambit-list] Bootable Gambit repo

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Apr 16 16:26:38 EDT 2012

I have now added the generated .c files to the github repo and changed the makefiles so that a "make commit" does not commit the generated .c files, and a "make new-revision" (and new-minor and new-major) does commit the generated .c files .  This means that cloning the github repo is sufficient to build Gambit.

The steps to follow are:

    git clone git at github.com:feeley/gambit.git
    cd gambit
    ./configure --enable-single-host
    make
    make check

If no errors are reported, then

    make bootstrap

will prepare the executable gsc-boot, which is the Gambit Scheme compiler used for bootstrapping.  If any of the .scm files are changed, it will be used to generate the corresponding .c files.

When changes need to be committed, use

    make commit

(do *not* use "git commit" which would commit all changed files including the generated .c files).

To push the commits to the repo, use

    make push

Please let me know if you encounter problems with the new makefiles.