[gambit-list] AWS, Termite, and Snow

Adrien Pierard pierarda at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Feb 1 06:13:02 EST 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 11:29:19PM -0500, Joe Hosteny wrote :
> 	Also, does anyone have a feel for what is going on with Snow? It
> seems like the traffic on the mailing list is a bit slow, and the
> number of packages is still relatively few. Don't get me wrong - my

Since R6RS and ERR5RS both provide modules/libraries/else, shouldn't we focus on the
latter, and use the implementors lobby to insert some cond-expand in the
library and therefore, define the new de-facto standard for portable
code?

(library (foo)
 (export x)
 (import (err5rs))
 (define (my-fun x)
  (cond-expand
   (gambit
    (if (version< (current-version) "4.1.2")
     (error "Need at least gambit 4.1.2")
     (+ x 1)))
   (else
     (error "Sorry, this code currently runs on Gambit only")))))

This raises the issue of the fork of Scheme (ERR5RS), whereas Snow is intended to
be Scheme compatible (R4RS), but could be a solution.

This could somehow enforce a common framework for portable code
for the next release of Scheme that is supported by at least 60% of
*implementors*, wouldn't it?
We could then use Snow as the global repository for all this code, and
require SRFIs implementors upload their reference implementation on this
new Snow...

Adrien

--
"I am not a Church numeral; I am a free variable!"
(The Scheme Underground)