[gambit-list] Wiki links for documentation

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Dec 5 12:46:14 EST 2008

On 5-Dec-08, at 11:33 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:

> Moreover, it seems that names containing < and > and perhaps other
> special characters like the vertical bar can't be used in a link (and
> thus can't appear in a page title).  I have tried
>
> [[Documentation:procedure <]]
>
> But that doesn't work (the system thinks that this is not a wiki
> link).
>
> Anyone here know if there is a solution to this problem?

I changed the configuration of the Gambit wiki so that it now allows
+, < and > in the title.  So the proper way of writing the link for
say fixnum->flonum is:

[[Documentation:Procedure fixnum->flonum|procedure <tt>fixnum-
>flonum</tt>]]

There is no way to allow the hash character (i.e. #), because that is
part of the URL syntax to indicate a location in the page.  So I think
the best that can be done is to substitute the Unicode sharp character
(U+266F) in the page title part:

[[Documentation:Procedure ♯♯gc|procedure <tt>##gc</tt>]]

It gives a strange looking hash sign, and it may not appear properly
in all browsers.  Moreover you have to map hash characters to sharp
characters for linking to a Gambit wiki documentation page, e.g. the
URL for the procedure ##gc is:

http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php?title=Documentation:Procedure_%E2%99%AF%E2%99%AFgc

To be safe, other special characters will probably have to be escaped
in the URL.