[gambit-list] SRFI-1

Marc Feeley feeley at IRO.UMontreal.CA
Fri Mar 25 18:37:11 EST 2005

> Well to keep this little party from dying whats the next step?
>
>  So we need some packaging guidelines and some process to submit code.
> What else?

I think a standardized package system for Gambit is a good idea and a
great way for people to contribute various extensions to Gambit (not
only SRFIs).  I've been thinking about this for a while now and even
have come up with a cute name for these extensions... "gems" for
Gambit Extension Modules.

One of my concerns is that this package system be close enough to the
R6RS module system that it will be easy to migrate the gems to conform
to R6RS (so that users of other Scheme systems can benefit from the
gem repository, and conversely that users of Gambit can easily access
R6RS modules).

Most of the mechanisms required for a package system are already in
place (namespaces, installation directory, include/load).  The Gambit
installation directory could be used as a local repository for gems
(actually a "gem" subdirectory, so that you could write something like
(include "~~/gem/srfi-1.scm") to gain access to srfi-1).

What is needed is a way for a package to declare its version and the
version of other gems it depends on.  A tool to download a specific
gem from the Gambit web page, or a mirror, would be nice too.

Much to think about...